Oldest Stone House Museum
Museum Hours and History
THE OLDEST STONE HOUSE MUSEUM
History of the House Lakewood Lore article: Dr. Jared Potter Kirtland A HOUSE FULL OF HISTORY
Lakewood's Oldest Stone House, built in 1838, contains a treasure trove of memorabilia that unlocks the pioneer past of the city.
It's a dwelling made of sandstone from area quarries by settler John Honam, a weaver from Scotland, and has been preserved as a typical early period home.
It served as a residence on Detroit Avenue from 1838 until 1870. It remained there for the next 82 years with a diversity of tenants. At various times it was a post office, shoe repair shop, grocery, doctor's office, upholsterer's store and barbershop.
WHAT THERE IS TO SEE
There is a rich collection of relics–spinning wheels, furniture, household items, clothing, tools, books, dolls and toys.
All are presented to provide an authentic insight into the life and times of pioneer Lakewood.
There is a large kitchen with a fireplace for cooking and four-harness loom, a furnished parlor with horsehair sofa, a sick or borning room with old-fashioned care equipment, and two upstairs bedrooms featuring roped beds, handmade quilts, coverlets and homespun sheets. The museum also includes samplers and folk art.
On display are items which were recovered from Whippoorwill, the former residence of Dr. Jared Potter Kirtland. Dr. Kirtland was Lakewood’s most celebrated 19th century citizen and was a naturalist, botanist, doctor, legislator, teacher and writer.
He is credited with originating 26 varieties of cherries and six of pears, and held the distinction of giving his name to a warbler, water snake, mollusk, raspberry, strawberry and fossil plant.
Behind the house is a garden with an original grapevine from the Nicholson fruit farm which stood on Detroit Ave. A centuries old English rose bush grows there which was brought from England by the Hall family when they emigrated to Rockport Township in the 19th century.
In a corner of the garden are tombstones for early Rockport Township citizens removed from the old Wagar cemetery on Detroit Rd. The garden is currently being reinterpreted by the society in cooperation with local gardening groups to show early fruit growing traditions.
ALL ARE WELCOME
Tours of the Oldest Stone House Museum are conducted by costumed hostesses on Wednesdays and Sundays from 2 to 5 p.m. Visits by school classes, clubs and other groups can be arranged by calling (216) 221-7343.
Special Services offered by the museum include slide presentations developed from a collection of more than 7,000 photographs; talks to school children; a week-long summer Ohio Heritage program for 3rd, 4th, and 5th graders; and telephone assistance in providing available Lakewood historical information.
Free–donations are welcome.
Sundays 2 to 5 p.m.
Wednesdays 1 to 4 p.m.
February through November.
Closed major holidays.
- Inside the Museum
We will feature in this section a new or interesting artifact that relects the heritage of the City of Lakewood.
- Education Projects